Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mildew/Moldy smell to clothes left in washing machine.?

I forgot about a load of laundry in the washer for 3 days. When I finally went back downstairs to do another load, the smell was aweful. I know that I could probably use baking soda, vinegar or oxiclean (but how much of the product do I use), and wash with hot water, but I want to know your experiences. There is no (visible) mold spots growing, but I can't stand the smell. Please offer any advice, thank you!





Also, my daughter has very sensitive skin, so I usually wash with the non-fragrant, hypoallergenic detergents. Should I wash these clothes again after using the baking soda, or do you think those chemicals would irritate her skin?Mildew/Moldy smell to clothes left in washing machine.?
This happened to me. I am a student and have now learnt my lesson. Put them on a high wash for as long as possible, with as much powder, confort and liquitabs as you can. Do this twice, put them on a clothes airer in a well ventilated room, then tumble dry with several bounce sheets. Then iron using vaporesse. You can do this all with the normal detergents you use. Thats how my mum fixed mine and it was literally ALL my clothes except one skirt and one top! and my clothes ad been left for over two months, not only did they reek, but they had more mould on them than mould hasMildew/Moldy smell to clothes left in washing machine.?
normal rewashing will kill the moldy smell, this time dont leave them in the washing machine.
Normal washing will not be enough.





Here is what you need to do... I promise:





Wash them again with the normal amount of detergent, and add 1 cup of ammonia to the load. Rinse twice.





They will be good as new... I promise you.
I have had this happen to me all the time. My washer is down in the basement and I forget about them until a few days later. I usually just rewash them. I did have one problem awhile back I had a storge container with some clothes in it some how they got wet.( basement leaks) when I took the lid off the smell about knocked me over from the mold, most of the clothe I had to toss in the trash and wash some a few times.


I would just try to rewash them with soap you use. good luck
I usually just throw them in the dryer and the smell is gone by the time they're dry.





Of course, I'm not sensitive to mold spores. If I was, I'd probably re-wash them and set a timer to remind me to dry 'em ASAP.
We all do this from time to time just rewash your clothes just like you normally would and everything will be right as rain this coming from someone with severe allergies herself
Best bet to get rid of smell and possible mold is to wash with a little (maybe a capful) of chlorine bleach, then wash again in your usual way.
got any baking soda? add to washer and wash again
it sounds silly, but walmart sells a product called ';damp rid'; that is exactly for this purpose! it is gentle for your daughter and i can't say enough good things about it. i make that mistake pretty often (i'm a major scatterbrain) and damp rid always works.
Dryer sheet and dry.
I have done this also.. Take a cup of White distilled vinegar and add it to the wash water...let it go through the cycle...The smell will be gone.....
wash them again
baking soda or white vineager, in wash should do it
I know this happened to me with a shirt...





I just washed it again with normal detergent, and it worked fine. I even had the visible mold spots and everything. Don't know if this is normal, but it worked for me.
It sounds like it wouldn't work, but a little white vinegar added to the wash will help. I use the hypo-allergenic/non-fragrant stuff and once I left the clothes in the wash and just added some vinegar.


It worked really well.





Still use the detergent with the vinegar.


(About 1/2 a cup of vinegar)
wash them again.
i know it happen to my wife she forgot the clothes in the washer for a couple of days and she re-washes the clothes and they were okay
The smell will never leave, throw the clothes in the garbage, or keep the clothes and tolerate the smell. Poo! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment