Monday, December 21, 2009

How do I get rid of the mildew smell in my washing machine?

Please help. I have tried hot water bleach and laundry soap many times, but only seems to be a couple day temporary fix. Thanks!How do I get rid of the mildew smell in my washing machine?
Hi,


I think I know what the problem is. My washing machine it had is mould/mildew smell and I couldn't get rid of the smell.





How I found out what it was, was when my daughters necklace went down into the machine and got stuck where the pump was. In order to get to the pump I had to undo the agitator and then remove stainless steel inner tub to get to the pump.





I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw all of this thick build up of mouldy slush stuck and growing on the stainless steel inner and the outer tub plus underneath the agitator. I cleaned what I could but it was far easier to put it all back together and run the machine on a wash and soak cycle with caustic soda in the water to dissolve the slush. It might take a couple of goes to clean it out but it does work or if your a bit handy undo your machine and clean it out yourself.





After that, I made myself a promise that every 6 months I would clean the machine out with Caustic Soda. Please be careful if you decide to use Caustic Soda, use only cold water and wear eye protection and give plenty of rinsesHow do I get rid of the mildew smell in my washing machine?
wash it lol
Run a rinse of white vinegar and LEAVE the LID open all the time after you finish a load. And remove clothes at once don't leave them in over night. Might take awhile but keep it up and it should leave. Open a window for air if possible.
use lime to squeeze it around your next wash. . .





since our liquid soap has a lime flavour . . .





the lime will be able to enhance and stick itself to the washign bin . .
It sounds like you are leaving your clothes in the machine too long and thats why it smells all mildewy...try taking your clothes out as soon as they are done
You can do a rinse cycle with a bottle of vinegar in your water...


If this doesn't work, then sprinkle some baking soda in your dry tub to absorb odors..............(maybe it is the tub where the water drains out) You don't have any standing water under your tub or sink do you?...Good luck.
white vinegar is supposed to counteract mildew smells, try mixing a cup or two in with just water and running it through your machine. Also vinegar is used to set dyes so you don't need to worry about it getting on your clothes later.
Wash your a.s.s.

No comments:

Post a Comment