Monday, December 21, 2009

Can anyone give me advice on how to wash and remove mildew stains from stuffed toys?

I have an old (original 1995 or so) tickle-me-elmo doll that's in serious need of a bath. His tag says ';surface wash only,'; but given that he was originally purchased ';slightly used'; on Ebay and then put up with several years of life with college guys, I just don't think surface washing will cut it.





I've removed his voice box (He opens up with velcro and it was just tied in) and am thinking of throwing him in the washing machine. He has some mildew spots on his nose that I'm not sure what to do with. Stain remover? Some kind of disinfectant? Just see what washing does? and I'm also not sure how his eyes (plastic) will hold up.





Surely someone out there has experience washing these sorts of things. I'd appreciate any advice you have. Thanks!Can anyone give me advice on how to wash and remove mildew stains from stuffed toys?
Your best bet is to use vinegar. If it's sturdy enough that you think it will survive the washing machine, put it in a pillow case and use a gentle setting. Add a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle.


If not, use a clean cloth dipped in vinegar and wipe it down. Sunlight is the best way to dry it. Sunshine kills mold spores. Make sure the toy is completely dry before putting it away so it doesn't mold again.Can anyone give me advice on how to wash and remove mildew stains from stuffed toys?
If you can take the voice box out, just throw him in the wash on a gentle/delicate/hand wash cycle...





should work alright ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment