Monday, December 21, 2009

I removed the AC vents for cleaning. I found mold or mildew inside and washed them. How to remove from ducts?

Would there be meldew on ducts if there was on vents? How to clean my ac system?I removed the AC vents for cleaning. I found mold or mildew inside and washed them. How to remove from ducts?
Mildew is usually more prevelent at the vent than inside the duct. The cold air from the duct meets with the warm air of the room at the vent. This can cause a bit of condensation and mildew.





Mold and mildew is a very common and occurs everywhere in nature. People tend to overreact and freak out about it in their house. Most mildew is harmless. The only way to get it out of ducts is to hire a profession duct cleaning company. The salesman will tell you how terrible mold is and that you need to have them cleaned every year. My house is 50 years old and the ducts have never been cleaned. Never had any health issues.





I would just clean the vent with a little windex and forget about the ducts.I removed the AC vents for cleaning. I found mold or mildew inside and washed them. How to remove from ducts?
there are companies that can come out and clean your ductwork with special tools and a sanitizer solution. To purchase the tools yourself would be expensive for the occassional use of one home's needs. For a normal home, duct cleaning costs about $55 per each vent, plus $250 to clean the heating/AC unit. It sounds like you also need to install a dehumidifier/vapor control to your heating/cooling duct system to prevent reoccurrance of the mold and mildew.
windex
Vinegar or diluted bleach. Vinegar is acetic acid and that kills mold. So does bleach, but be sure to ventilate very well - the fumes are nasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment