Sunday, December 27, 2009

I Live in a HUMID HOT area. My washing machine occasionally gets a MILDEW smell...?

I would like for this smell to go away b/c it's funking up my clothing.


What's the best way to do this? Bleach? Baking Soda? Vinegar? Suggestions?I Live in a HUMID HOT area. My washing machine occasionally gets a MILDEW smell...?
Both bleach or a mix of baking soda and vinegar will work!


The difference is...IF you have a septic system, bleach will KILL all the good bacteria that keeps the septic healthy! If you have CITY sewerage, then go ahead and bleach the machine!


If you have a septic system, then stay away from the bleach! Mix 50/50 vinegar and baking soda with 1/2 of a tub of water and let it go through the wash cycle ! once a week actually!I Live in a HUMID HOT area. My washing machine occasionally gets a MILDEW smell...?
I would just pour a bit of bleach in the washer, add some water And run the machine through a cycle.





You could just run a load of clothes that you normally add bleach to.





When done leave the cover of the machine open.





It wouldn't hurt to air out the area where the machine is.





Do you have a dehumidifier?
oxyclean it is safe and does not hurt the inviroment.
A 10% solution of bleach water will kill more than full strength.





I'd let it dry out then measure out a gallon of bleach and add 9 gallons of water to the basin then let it set for a day. Read your instructions on how to just use the soak option so that your washer doesn't drain or add water....you may have to turn off your water supply then select the soak option and manually add the water/bleach solution.





Make sure it's coming from the washer....


I'd check the undercarriage too.


Good luck with that...I hate mildew!
Wash with vinegar, then when you are done with washing your clothes, leave your washing machine lid open. This will allow the machine to air out.
1/2 cup of borax in the wash.


1 cup of white vinegar in the rinse.
I live in a tropical area as well and I do two things and they both work. It just depends on if you have a top loader or a front loader.





If you have a front loader - do a wash with just some sheets with a wool wash that has eucalyptus oil in it. It will remove the smells as well as wash your sheets





If you have a top loader - do the same as a front loader just wash sheets with lemon juice and salt. (may need to re wash sheets after).





Been doing this for 5 years. Works wonders, just had to change tecniques b/c changed washing machine type.
check out this site: http://www.smellywasher.com/





They ship pretty fast.
bleach is best for killing mildew.

No comments:

Post a Comment