Monday, December 21, 2009

How do I remove the mildew smell from my washing machine?

Before I moved into my apartment, the clothes washer had a faint mildew smell. I have tried removing it with bleach, but this hasn't worked so far. Is there some way of killing the mildew so my clothes don't smell the same?How do I remove the mildew smell from my washing machine?
You can kill the mildew and the spores by running a load of rags with your regular detergent and add 2/3 cup of borax. (Directions on the side of the box).How do I remove the mildew smell from my washing machine?
Since you have ran a cycle with your regular detergent and some bleach.. add baking soda and vinegar. Sometimes they just smell musty and the previous suggestions take care of that. Also... I don't shut my washer all the way. That way there is not moisture 'sitting' in there. The air can circulate and not get stagnant. You may have some 'junk' in the filter or pump that smells and needs to be taken apart to do so- in that case, I'd leave it to the repair man- so you don't void your warranty.
Vinegar
if bleach doesn't work i would try baking soda.


put about 1 cup of it in an empty wash .


that should help.


but if it doesn't you could take your washer apart and hand wash it out.
I have a front loading washer which had built up detergent which started smelling- I just put in some towel and ran it on hot for 2 loads and it got better
Baking soda in a warm wash cycle.
No problem.





It's actually called a store,





where you go and buy one.





Later man!
Hi, try a product called ';Purewasher';, works quite well. Do Not use bleach it will cause damage to seal on the machine
Baking soda. A cup and a wash cycle.
After the bleach treatment run an empty load with a box of baking soda in the soap dispenser.
Try a cycle with hot water.
Try using Baking Soda - put 1 cup in wash like you would normally, then run wash (empty). You can also use it with your clothes because it removes the smells already in them.
Try these techniques :





The first thing to do is to check to be sure that there are no mechanical problems with the washer. First be sure there are no drainage problems and no problems with the actual operation of the cycles. Bleach should in fact kill any mildew so there may be a problem with water not draining completely from the washer or the drainage system.





We have also heard of people running a load with a cup or two of white vinegar to rinse out the machine.
Vinegar
Try lemon juice

No comments:

Post a Comment